Thursday, October 13, 2011

From the Regional Director

This is the first of a four part message to expand upon discussions and the near unanimous consensus from our regional meeting regarding the state of our region. Proposals to "turn the tide" of nonparticipation at regionally mandated events, and the resultant dwindling of our regional fund will be discussed in depth beyond the scope of the meeting's minutes. Should we fail in these endeavors, it was generally agreed that in two years we will again be meeting, not just to elect new officers, but also to discuss the future viability of the PNW Region.

Part 1:  Apathy, Antipathy, and Elections

The combined apathy and antipathy displayed by too many key individuals within our region has deteriorated to the point where UScA mandated events are not being supported. This is too often because of de facto boycotts due to who is "hosting" a respective event. The multi-year shrinkage of the regional fund to subsidize the clubs hosting these events thus becomes the litmus of our ability to be self-sustaining. To not be self-supporting would necessarily require our eventual  dissolution and absorption into another region.
The regional meeting clearly displayed this apathy and the overall consensus that "things will never change". The very fact that I was being considered for the regional director's position over the half dozen people in the room with 25 to 30 years in the sport was testimony enough. Asked individually if each clubs representative would consider the position was met with a resounding no; asked what each representative knew about me could cumulatively be described as "not much". My paraphrased reply:
"That is absolutely pathetic. We care so little about the state of our region and who runs it that we're willing to 'settle for some schmuck from Alaska' with far less legitimacy in the sport than most in this room, and whom you know little to nothing about. And, there are three other representatives in the region who know me at least in passing, expressed unsolicited support, and yet are not present. We were absolutely in need of their presence as well if hope for an unassailable consensus was to be achieved."
It was further clearly established that interpersonal antipathy among multiple protagonists within the region was irreconcilable and detrimental to the business of the region.  Our overall region is no different than the microcosm example in Alaska where the three entities unfortunately "don't play well together," many of our Canadian friends, or multiple other UScA Regions.  The only difference between us and "them" is their ability to put differences aside to support in a sustainable way their mandated events. We, like the now defunct UScA Rocky Mountain Region, are in the process of failing as evidenced by the continued diminishment of our regional fund.
Following the aforementioned discussions, I queried those in attendance:
"What's in this for me to leave a contented time in my life with a retired wife, empty nest, ability to travel, train and trial, and de facto part time job leading to near full time dog training to accept working for you all? I have 'no proverbial dogs' in any of these fights so why should I care?"
The resounding silence that followed prompted an answer to what had become my own rhetorical question:
"I will accept this position and give it my absolute all IF the clubs in this region provide the consensus, tools, and support necessary to 'have a chance' for us to cumulatively succeed. I do not wish to be the next in a continuing line of well-intentioned good people who continue status quo into a deteriorating, unsustainable situation."
We unanimously agreed: the status quo was not going to cut it...
Best regards to all,

Kevin Nance

3 comments:

Alan said...

Bravo, Bravo, we now have a Regional Director willing to confront sensitive issues openly that have divided this region for too many years. The regional competition clearly displayed the apathy and lack support for the region and working dogs in general. Of the three schutzhund dogs competing only one was from an USA club; pretty pathetic. To his credit, this dog trainer from Alaska, with no alliances or allegiances, may be the last hope this region has of creating a sustainable functioning region for United Schutzhund clubs of America. I hope the member clubs and each individual member within the region get behind and along side this “Schmuck” and support his efforts.

Alan
McKenzie River Schutzhund

Anonymous said...

To the region,
(the following is part of a correspondence between Kevin and myself, that was thought might be beneficial to share with everyone)
Like warren before you I am emailing to offer my services as secretary any way that can be of help. School does dictate my life so it may take me a couple days to have time for anything dog related but i am more than willing to help in any way possible. 
Also i wanted to say thank you, and that you are not alone in wondering why you were elected, you at least are part of a legitimate club in the region whereas for myself i dont even belong to an actual club. Ive wondered for two years now why i was originally elected. I use to wish that my training group would become a sanctioned club after two years of regional business meetings, i cant think of a more sure death sentence for it. You know what i want to do kevin? My desire is to train my dogs and have fun doing it, to meet fun people and learn as much as i can from anyone i observe. I couldnt care less about who did what, to who at some trial in the 80's!, or how some person isnt allowed on some club field because they and the club director dont get along.... or whatever ballot UScA is voting on to prevent alternate breeds or plush coated working lines or WDA members from trialing or showing with them. I dont care! I love working dogs and that is all i want to do, not be secretary. 
I do however love your no bull shit blogs on the regions site because despite the fact that history seems to repeat itself, I have not given up hope that the region that is closest to home for me, will work it out. And maybe its just because im a forgive and forget kinda person, that im naive enough to think that other people eventually will too. I have only heard about how this year’s business meeting in Post Falls went but I am encouraged by your leadership there, and that you at least have a plan on how to fix the region, if it can be, rather than just saying it needs to be which has been the motto of our last few leaders.
Im not sure why i felt the desire to share all this with you, but at least now you know where i am coming from and despite my paragraph 3 rant i am absolutely determined to do the best i can by the region and at least if it fails it won’t be because I didnt try my best to help it. please let me know if there is anything i can do to help with the region sponsoring the regional championship or anything else. 
Emily Carte          
 

shade said...

It is wonderful to have you Kevin! Let's start making this Region into something to be proud of.
Shade